The Sunnah Upon Which Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم Died
بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم
السلام عليكم ورحمت الله و بركاته
1 – The first: Being pleased and content with the Qadaa (Ordainment) of Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, and submitting to His command, having patience upon His ruling, taking that which He has commanded and refraining from that which He has forbidden.
2. Having faith in Qadar, its good and its evil.
3. Abandoning quarrelling and argumentation in the religion.
4. Wiping of the khuffs [leather socks]
5. Participating in jihad with every Khalifah, whether righteous or sinful.
6. Performing [funeral] prayer over whoever dies from the people of the qiblal
7. That faith consists of speech and action, it increases with obedience and decreases with disobedience.
8. That the Qur’an is the Speech of Allah سبحانه و تعالى [which was] revealed upon the heart of His Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم It is not created, in whatever fashion it is recited or rehearsed.
9. Having patience under the banner of the one in authority, in whatever condition he may be in, just or unjust.
10. That we do not set out [in revolt] against the Rulers with the sword, even if they are unjust and oppressive.
11. That we do not declare anyone from among the people of Tawheed a disbeliever even if they commit the major sins.
12. Refraining from [talking about] whatever occurred between the Companions of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم.
13. That the best of mankind after the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم are: Abu Bakr رضي الله تعالى عنه , ‘Umar رضي الله تعالى عنه , ‘Uthman رضي الله تعالى عنه , and ‘Ali رضي الله تعالى عنه , the cousin of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم
14. Asking for Allaah’s mercy for all of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah رضي الله تعالى عنهم, and also for his offspring, his wives and his kinship through marriage may the pleasure of Allah سبحانه و تعالى be upon them all.
This is the Sunnah – stick fast to it and you will be safe. Taking its guidance and abandoning it is going astray.”
Taken from the book, “Usul as Sunnah,” by Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal رحمه الله Pages 44-6