A Description of the Believer from Ahlus-Sunnah
بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم
السلام عليكم ورحمت الله و بركاته
1. Whoever testifies that there is none that has the right to be worshipped except Allah, alone, without any partners and that Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم is His servant and Messenger.
2. That he confirms everything that the Prophets and Messengers came with and that he believes in it resolutely, according to the apparent and manifest [meaning].
3. That he never [has] doubts in his faith, 97 and he never declares any of the people of tawheed to be a disbeliever on account of a sin.
4. That he consigns whatever is hidden from him from among the affairs to Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, and submits his affair to Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, and that he does not cut off Allaah’s protection [of him] by sins.
5. That he knows everything is by Allaah’s ordainment and predestination, the good and the bad, all of it.
6. He has hope for the doer of good from the Ummah of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and he fears for the doers of evil amongst them.
7. That he does not place anyone from the Ummah of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم in Paradise or Hell-Fire on account of a good that he earned or a sin that he earned until and unless Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, He is the one who places His creation wherever He wills [i.e. Paradise or Hell-Fire].
8. That he knows the truth regarding the [position of the] Salaf whom Allah chose to accompany His Prophet, and that he puts at the forefront [of them]: Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthman. And that he knows the truth regarding [the position of] ‘Alee ibn Abi Talib, Talhah, az-Zubayr, ‘Abdur-Rahman ibn ‘Awf, Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas, Sa’eed ibn Zaid ibn ‘Amr ibn Nufail over all the other Companions. Since these nine are the ones who were with the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم on the Mount of Hira, when the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said, “Be tranquil O Hira, there is upon you but a Prophet, a truthful one and a martyr.” 98 And the Prophet was the tenth of them.
9. That he asks for Allaah’s Mercy for all of the Companions of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, the young amongst them and the senior amongst them. That he talks about their virtues and their excellence and holds back from [talking about] that which occurred between them.
10. That [he holds] the two ‘Eid prayers, the Fear prayer, the Jumu’ah prayer and the five daily congregational prayers to be performed along with every leader, whether righteous or sinful.
11. That [he accepts] the [validity of] wiping over the khuffs (leather socks) during a journey and while present in ones residence.
12. That [he accepts] the [validity] of shortening the prayers during a journey.
13. That the Qur’an is the Speech of Allah and His Revelation and it is not created.
14. That faith consists of speech and action, it increases and decreases.
15. That Jihad is always operative ever since Allah sent Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم till the last [small] group [of Muslims] fight the Dajjal, the injustice and oppression of a tyrant will not harm them.
16. That selling and buying is lawful up until the Day of Judgement, in accordance with the judgement of the Book and the Sunnah.
17. That the takbir during the Funeral prayer is pronounced four times.
18. That supplication is to be made for the Leaders of the Muslims, that they are corrected and reformed. That you do not take out your sword against them, that you do not fight in times of tribulations, but rather you stick to your home.
19. Having faith in the Punishment of the Grave.
20. Having faith in Munkar and Nakeer.
21. Having faith in the Hawd and the Intercession.
22. Having faith that the People of Paradise will see their Lord, the Blessed and Exalted.
23. Having faith that the Muwahhidoon (those testifying to the unity and uniqueness of Allah in His Lordship, His right of worship and in His Names and Attributes, with their beliefs sayings and actions) will be brought out from the Fire after they have been turned to coal in the manner [described in] the ahadith that have come from the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم regarding these issues. We believe in attesting to the truthfulness of such ahadith and we do not set examples for them.
This is what the Scholars in all the horizons have agreed and united upon.
From “Usul as-Sunnah,” by Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal رحمه الله pages 46-51